Kateeva’s YIELDjet™ Platform
The YIELDjet platform is the world’s first inkjet printing manufacturing equipment solution developed from the ground up for flexible and large-scale OLEDs. With a novel architecture and breakthrough features, it tackles the volume-manufacturing hurdles that have made flexible and large-size OLEDs economically unviable. They include: Inferior device lifetime, unacceptable particle levels, inconsistent reliability, and poor uptime performance.
The YIELDjet platform addresses the obstacles with these advances:
World’s first production-worthy nitrogen printing environment
- The most important device parameter for customers is lifetime (particularly for inkjet-printed OLED)
- Nitrogen is well known to be superior to air (oxygen & water) as a lifetime-enabler. In fact, a nitrogen printing environment is regarded as the gold standard for device performance
- Enclosing the printer in nitrogen using conventional techniques is extremely challenging, however. Production-worthy serviceability is complex, and post-maintenance recovery is protracted
The YIELDjet platform is designed from the ground up with patent-protected technologies to solve these problems.
- Sharply reduced enclosure volume for fast post-maintenance recovery
- Automated maintenance without air contamination
- Closed-loop nitrogen recirculation operating at < 1 ppm O2/H2O
Industry-leading low-particle performance
- OLED displays are highly sensitive to particles. A mere few can kill the entire display
- To achieve high yield, low particle performance is imperative
The YIELDjet platform applies semiconductor equipment design practices to inkjet for the first time.
- Top-to-bottom minimization of particle generation
- Detailed flow modeling to eliminate turbulence
Repeatable & reliable uniformity with ultra-wide process window
- Nozzle-to-nozzle non-uniformity is the root cause of banding (“Mura”)
- Some existing techniques attempt to address banding using droplets from multiple nozzles in an attempt to reduce mean non-uniformity
The YIELDjet platform offers a 5X wider process window for nozzle variation which enables a more robust and reliable production process.
- The Kateeva approach combines innovations in process-control monitoring and printhead control algorithms
- The figures presented below represent simulated and experimental results for films printed with: I. No control for nozzle-to-nozzle non-uniformity; II. Nozzles used to statistically reduce impact of nozzle-to-nozzle variation (N=5); III. Nozzles specifically selected in pre-planned manner to eliminate or substantially reduce aggregate volume non-uniformity (the Kateeva approach)